Indian Classical Dance
Indian Classical Dance is very important to point for the government job. It is a very useful topic for Sarkari Naukri’s preparation. Sarkari Exam such as SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, Railway (RRB), Bank Exam, UPTET, CTET, IBPS, and Police recruitment Exam. Here are some important points of classical dance-
Sangeet Natak Academy which decides the status of Classical dances. Natya Shashtra is the foundation of the classical dance of India. The main points about Indian Classical Dance which are following significance and property-
- Own literature
- Style and school
There are total 8 India Classical Dance decided by Sangeet Natak Academy which is Following-
(I)Bharatnatyam( Tamil Nadu): Facts about Bharatnatyam are following-
- It is the Oldest form of Natya Shastra (By Bharat Muni).
- Lord Shiva is worshiped.
- Puranic stories are depicted.
- Earlier it was confined among Dev Dasi.
- Public performance dance (Rukmani Devi).
Exponents of this Dance:
- Yamini Krishnamurthy
- Bharti Shivaji
- Hema Malini
- Indrani Reshma
- Chitra Visheswar
(II) Kathakali (Kerala): Important point about this Indian Classical dance is following-
- It is Mask- Dance.
- It is Dance-Drama.
- Stories of Ramayana and Mahabharta are describing through this dance.
- This Dance describes Victory of Goodness over evil.
- Udai Shankar
- Krishna Kutti
- Ananda Shiva Raman
(III) Kuchipudi (Andhra Pradesh): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
- It is a Solo- Dance.
- UNESCO declared International dance to this Indian Classical dance.
- Pauranic Stories are describing through this dance.
- This dance shows Shiva-Sati Stories.
- Raja Radha Reddy
- Sapna Sundari
- Komal Vardhan
(IV) Odissi (Orissa): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
- It is a dance of Love and Joy.
- This dance shows Krishna- Gopi Dance.
- This dance shows Natraj Dance.
- Guru Kelu Charan Mahapatra
- Sonal Man Singh
- Madhvi Mudgal
- Sanyukta Pangrahi
Four more Indian Classical Dance
(V) Kathak (Uttar Pradesh/Bihar/Madhya Pradesh/West Bengal): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
The sept of Kathak (Kathak ka Gharana): The sept of kathak is following-
The important points of Kathak are following that what it shows.
- Krishna –Gopi dance
- Natraj Dance
- Puranic Stories
- Sitara Devi (The Kathak Queen) (Died in 2018)
- Birju Maharaj
- Uma Sharma
- Sobhra Narayan
- Kumkum Lekhiya
(VI)Manipuri (Manipur): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
- It is also known as Jagoi
- It shows Krishna-Gopi dance (Ras –Lila)
- Rabuka Singh
- Jhaveri Sisters
(VII) Sattriya(Assam): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
- It is drama-dance.
- The theme of this dance related to Radha-Krishna and some time Vishnu Avatar such as Ram Sita.
- Monasteries and temples in Assam, called Sattras, have dance halls (Namghar) for Sattriya.
- Sattriya Dance is originated from Ankia Nat and it is one-act play having music, dance, and drama.
- Maniram Datta Moktar
- Indira P. P. Bora
- Jatin Goswami
- Ganakanta Dutta Borbayan
- Manik Borbayan
(VIII) Mohiniyattam(Kerala): Important point about this Classical dance is following-
- Mohiniyattam Dance got its name from the word Mohini that is a female avatar of God Vishnu.
- It is Solo-dance by women
- this dance performance on Manipravalam vocal music that is a mixture of Sanskrit, Tamil, and Malayalam.
- Kalamandalam Kalyanikutty Amma
- Dr. Sunanda Nair
- Smitha Rajan
- Kanak Rele
- Gopika Verma
- Radha Dutta
- Rema Shrikant
Difference between Indian Classical Dance and Indian Folk Dance
- There are many folk dances but classical dance is only 8.
- Indian classical dance is authorized by Sangeet Natak Academy but India folk dance is not authorized by Sangeet Natak Academy.
- Classical Dance is famous for its own gesture and specific step but folk dance can perform frequently.
- Folk dances based on states and region-wise but classical is not particularly based on states and region.
- Indian Classical Dance can only be performed by trained dancers for particular classical dance whereas folk dance is performed in groups.
- Folk dance shows local tradition but Indian Classical Dance shows the form of Tradition.
- Classical Dance is for Enlightenment but folk dance is for enthusiasm.